Everyone knows about coconut milk and oil, but what exactly is coconut water? Coconut water is the clear liquid inside young green coconuts. It is very refreshing and has a sweet nutty taste. Coconut water is the latest health craze and has been called “Mother Nature's sport drinks” by marketers who claim that this drink is fat and cholesterol free, super hydrating, rich in potassium and low in calories. But are all these claims accurate? If you are careful about what you buy, the answer is yes. It is important to read labels and buy plain coconut water, avoiding the beverages where sugar and other juices are added.
Here are 5 benefits of coconut water:
1. Helps in weight-loss efforts. Thanks to its low fat content and its rich nature, coconut water suppresses the appetite by making you feel full. It also contains less sugar than most sports drinks, and much less sugar than sodas and some fruit juices.
2. Facilitates digestion. Coconut water contains easily digested carbohydrate in the form of sugar and electrolytes. Because of its high concentration of fiber, it helps to reduce the occurrence of acid reflux and prevents indigestion.
3. Rich in Nutrients. Coconut water contains the five essential electrolytes: calcium, potassium, sodium, magnesium, and phosphorous.
4. Compatible with human blood. Since it is isotonic to human plasma, coconut water can be used in extreme emergencies to rehydrate the human body.
5. Boosts Hydration. Coconut water is more effective at hydrating the body than sports drinks, because it contains less sugar, less sodium, more potassium, and has fewer calories.